Nottingham Lithium-ion battery fire

Three children seriously injured in Nottingham house fire caused by Lithium-ion battery

Three children were seriously injured after a house fire in Nottingham, with one suffering from severe burns. Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue has issued a statement after the incident on Monday, July 10.

Firefighters were called to the blaze shortly after 5:40pm at a property on Longford Crescent in Bulwell. Fire crews from Stockhill, Arnold and Hucknall all attended the fire.

Three children were rescued from the house by a neighbour. One of these children was left with severe burns. They were all taken to hospital by ambulance, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue said.

The fire was found to have been caused by a fault in a large Lithium-ion battery. This exploded; as many Lithium-ion battery fires do; and caused severe burn injuries to one of the children.

Beth Hayman, Fire Investigation Officer, said: “We would like to wish a speedy recovery to those injured and affected in the incident earlier this week.”

“Lithium-ion batteries can be found in everyday technology and household items such as laptops, mobile phones, e-cigarettes, e-scooters and DIY tools. If not handled and cared for correctly, can become extremely dangerous and behave in a volatile manner causing catastrophic damage and injuries.”

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service will be visiting residents around Longford Cresent on Monday, July 17 to reassure residents and offer free Safe and Well visits to check smoke alarms.

Lithium-ion batteries are everywhere but how are they dangerous and what causes them to start fires? Most of the time Lithium-ion batteries are safe and will never start a fire with safe and sensible usage, but when they are used with little care, this is when they can be a danger. Here at Fireology, we stress the importance of proper use of these batteries and devices with them inside.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *